Interested in hosting a Paint Out? Need some guidance on how or when? Contact our Paint Out Coordinator, Carol Cosgrove.
“Champaign Aviation Museum Paint Out” – Urbana, OH
Date and time –Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20, 2018
Time – Paint from 9 am – 5 pm, daily
Location – Champaign Aviation Museum, 1652 N Main St, Urbana, OH 43078
OPAS Host: Robine Wright – email for questions or to RSVP
Come paint B17s for two days as guests of Urbana Aviation Museum
What a great opportunity to experience a live show and be apart of history.
Paintings will be on exhibit through the month of June. You can leave them on the weekend or bring
them back. Restrooms and restaurant on site.
Deadline is 9-5 p.m. Friday, May 25, 2018
“Pleasant Hill Lake Park Paint Out” – Perrysville, OH
Date and time –Saturday, June 2, 2018
Time – Paint from 9 am – 2 pm, wet paint sale 2-3 pm
Location – Pleasant Hill Lake Park and Marina, 3431 OH-95, Perrysville, OH 44864
OPAS Host: Mary Ann Clady – email for questions or to RSVP
You can set up in several locations in the park, beach, marina, etc. In case of rain we could setup on the covered deck or inside the welcome center bldg. bathrooms are available at a couple locations. Wet paint sale will be held near the welcome center. Please bring your own easels to display your work. Sales are on your own.
“Paint Out in Tiffin” – Tiffin, OH
Date and time – Saturday, June 23, 2018
Location – Bailiwicks Coffee Shop, 62 S Washington St, Tiffin, OH 44883
OPAS Host: Doug Kelley, Dkelley81717@gmail.com, 567-224-1116
In collaboration with the City of Tiffin, OH; Ohio Plein Air Society, Tiffin Art Guild & Bailiwick’s Coffee Company
Free to paint in the competition for the day.
$10.00 participation entry fee applied to the Quick Draw. 100% of the collected entry fees will be applied to the Quick Draw award.
Make payment to “Tiffin Art Guild”
Awards and prize money to be announced soon.
One framed and wired painting from each Artist made on June 23rd can be entered for judging.
Award Minimum totals to date:
Best In Show: $200
1st Place: $150
2nd Place: $100
3rd Place: $50
Mayor’s Pick: $50
Quick Draw award would be the entry pot
OUR GOAL IS TO RAISE AN AWARD PURSE BETWEEN $1500 AND $2000. Sales are to be expected at this event. Please don’t feel I am trying to over sell the day. It should be a good one and well attended as this is happening during the Tiffin Farmers Market that usually draws hundreds of people.
Wet paint sale will conclude at 7:00 pm. Max 3 framed and wired paintings per Artist.
Surface stamping will be held at Bailiwick’s between 7:30 am and 9:30 am
3:00 pm Completed paintings are due for judging
3:30 to 5:30 Judging and Quick Draw contest
6:00 pm to 6:45 pm award presentation
With Support from the Following:
I am not particapating in the competition. As the host I feel it could be a conflict of interest…
All money raised beyond the needed purse total will be used to fund youth and developmentally disabled art programs at the Tiffin Art Guild.
Hope to see you all there.
“6th Annual Litzenberg Memorial Woods Paint Out” – Findlay, OH
Date and time –Saturday, June 23, 2018
Time – Paint from 9 am – 4 pm
Location – the historic Litzenberg Memorial Woods 6 miles west of Findlay on SR 224
OPAS Host: Sharon Hammer Baker – email for questions or to RSVP
Celebrate early summer in northwest Ohio! Join us for the fifth annual Hancock Park District Plein Air Paint-Out at the historic Litzenberg Memorial Woods 6 miles west of Findlay on SR 224
Artists in all plein air media are welcome
9-10 am Registration/Check-in at the barn
9-12 Paint in your choice of 1840s farmstead, garden, meadow, prairie, woods or river bottom+
12-1 pm Lunch*
1-3 Paint +
3-4 Gathering in the barn to share the day’s works with other artists and park visitors
*Bring your own and join other artists in the barn or visit restaurants in Findlay
+In case of rain, there are several sites under cover where you can work
Restrooms, snacks and beverages available all day at the barn
This is a non-competitive event and there is no registration fee
“1920s Tudor Mansion Paint Out” – Canton, OH
Date and time –Saturday, July 28, 9:30-3:30, Show and tell/critique at 3:30
Location – Carriage Hill Apartments Club House, 5228 Everhard Rd NW, Canton OH 44718
OPAS Host:Bob Maurer, 330-316-8697 email@example.com
Becca Gustavel 330-633-1725 firstname.lastname@example.org
Paint Out: 1920s Tudor mansion (includes self guided interior tours), formal garden, formal entrance gate, English cottage in the woods– and even a woods– and more.
Show and tell/critique at 3:30
Becca and Bob will provide coffee, tea, water and a snack.
Bring your lunch or there are several fast foods and a grocery/deli within a mile and lots of delivery options.
Kitchen facilities available on site.
Restrooms available on site.
OPTIONAL SPECIAL FEATURE: includes the use of the indoor pool and hot tub, so come prepared for that if you wish to indulge. The facilities are available until 5:00pm.
“Ballet @ the Brickyard” – Mansfield, OH
Saturday, August 4, 2018
Date and time – Saturday, August 4, 2018
Location – The Brickyard is located behind Phoenix Brewing Company. 21 W Temple Ct, Mansfield, OH 44902
Times – Paint anytime throughout the day
Event – The actual event is from 6-10 PM.
OPAS Host: Robin Roberts
Note: If you plan to stay and display and/or sell your work in the provided tent area during the event, you have to let me know so I know how many people to plan on. DO NOT plan to leave your painting without staying. I will not be taking responsibility for the paintings.
However, come and paint anytime throughout the day as you wish.
This day of plein air painting will be advertised with the event.
The NEOs Dance Group has invited OPAS to this event. The plan is to paint around the carousel district in downtown Mansfield throughout the day and then display and sell our work in a tent at the actual event. The actual event begins at 6:00 pm and runs until 10:00 pm and includes outdoor gallery space featuring local artists, live visual artists, live music, cigars, and cognac. A VIP area (which costs extra) with wine, and wonderful cuisine is available. The General Population (us) is treated to food and drink provided by local food trucks and the Phoenix Brewing Company. Ticket price to get in as general population is $25. We get in free.
The NEOs Dance group will put on a show starting around 8:00.
NEOs will provide a tent and tables for us to display wet paintings. Only paintings done during this day can be displayed. Depending on how many people stay, we may need to come up with a wall system for the tent.
You do not have to stay for the event in order to come and paint for the day. But your paintings can only be displayed if you stay there with them. They would appreciate having some people paint during the event as well.
Rough day schedule:
Show up and paint anytime throughout the day. Please stay within the Carousel District. You will be able to tell what that is. I will stay near the Brickyard.
I will likely make a day of it and do 2-3 paintings, but you can plan to come and paint whenever you want.
Return to the Brickyard by 5:30 with your painting(s), framed and wired to hang.
The event runs from 6-10 pm. If you are showing and selling your work, please plan to stay the whole time.
“Winery Paint Out” –Tuscarawas County, OH
Date and time –Saturday, August 25, 2018
Time – Paint from 9 am – 3 pm
Location – Breitenbach Winery, Tuscarawas County
OPAS Host: Ginny Stocker – email for questions or to RSVP
This makes a lovely spot for landscapes and barn scenes. There are facilities available and a place to purchase food and drinks. They are lovely to work with. We should shoot for an early start. If we started at 9:00 am, we should be well underway before the lunch rush. The patio area will be filled once the cafe opens at noon. I assured her that the artists would be working from their own easels and would not be taking the tables. Saturdays are definitely the busiest days.
2018 Juried Show at Group Ten Gallery in Kent, OH
The Best of Ohio Plein Air Society II Show
Juror: Charles Basham
Show dates: May 19-June 22, 2018
The opening reception will be Saturday, May 19, 2018 from 6-8:30 pm with a quick paint beforehand.
Group Ten Gallery website: www.GroupTenGallery.com.
Gallery hours are Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00 and Saturdays 12:00-5:00
– Click ENTER below to go to the submission page at OnlineJuiedShows.com
|The Ohio Plein Air Society Show: The Best of OPAS II
At Group Ten Gallery in Kent, Ohio
A Juried, Plein Air Gallery Exhibition
Saturday, May 19th – Friday, June 22nd, 2018
Entry Deadline: March 29, 2018
Images – Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Entry Fee: $25.00CALL FOR OPAS ARTISTS:
This juried event will celebrate the plein air tradition by exhibiting, promoting, and selling an exclusive group
of works painted outdoors in the true spirit of plein air painting. Our juror will select the finest plein air works
from members of the Ohio Plein Air Society. We will celebrate at an opening on Saturday, May 19, 2018,
6:00 – 8:30 PM. We will hold a Quick-Paint prior to the reception. More info to come at a later date.There is no theme for this show. Please submit your very best plein air work.ENTRY DEADLINE:
· All entries must be submitted via Online Juried Shows (www.onlinejuriedshows.com) by March 29, 2018.
· Artists MUST be members of the Ohio Plein Air Society to submit their works. Go to www.ohiopleinairsociety.com or call 419-606-1620 for membership informationENTRIES AND FEES:
· A non-refundable application fee of $25 will be collected from each artist submitting their works.
· This fee is payable online only by credit card via Online Juried Shows (www.onlinejuriedshows.com)
· Each artist may submit a maximum of 3 painting images
· This is strictly a juried showCONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY:
• All submissions MUST BE ORIGINAL PLEIN AIR PAINTINGS (at least 90% done on location)
· Paintings should be completed within the last two years
· Our juror will be choosing works they feel best represent the spirit of PLEIN AIR
· Please submit your best PLEIN AIR work only, no studio work
· All artwork MUST BE framed, and wired securely for hanging in a fine art gallery setting, no gallery-wraps please
· Works on paper and mediums susceptible to smearing/smudging MUST BE protected under glass or plexiglas
· Group Ten Gallery reserves the right to reject any artwork deemed improperly framed or improperly prepared for hanging
· Any work accepted to the juried show MUST BE present for the duration of the scheduled exhibition
· All work must be for saleJURYING PROCESS:
· Juror, Charles Basham
Charles Basham received his B.F.A. and M.F.A. from Kent State University in his native state of Ohio, where he still resides on the family farm where he grew up. He has been making art for over forty years, and, as a result, has enjoyed much acclaim for his visually stimulating and emotionally charged landscapes.Throughout his career, Basham has become more and more attuned to the subtle changes in weather and atmosphere. In his pastels and oil paintings, the energy and impact of light is realized in harmonized color whose saturation and temperature have been pushed and raised beyond previous limits. In doing so, he has captured dramatic and compelling moments of morning and evening light over the farmlands of the Midwest and the marshes and beaches of the low country in South Carolina.
Mr. Basham is represented by Jerald Melberg Gallery Charlotte, NC
· All paintings submitted for judging will be reviewed by our juror between the dates of April 1, 2018 and April 8, 2018
· Each artist member may submit up to 3 paintings to be judged
· Each painting is judged on an individual basis and, therefore, considered on an individual basis for exhibition as well, not as a group
· Selections will be announced to ALL ARTISTS, regarding paintings selected or not, via Online Juried Shows by April 16, 2018 DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED PAINTINGS:
· Drop-Off date is Saturday, May 12, 2018, from 12-5 pm
· Group Ten Gallery, 201 East Erie Street, Kent, OH 44240
· No shipping of paintings. We encourage group collaboration for delivery ART SALES:
· A predetermined sales price MUST BE provided by the artist for each painting submitted to the show via Online Juried Shows
· Prior to receiving the money from a sale, the artist must complete a 2018 W9 form for tax purposes
· Group Ten Gallery will receive 30% commission for each sale, with the artist receiving 70% of sales and it will be paid at the show’s completion via check and mailed to the address provided in the artist’s applicationEXHIBITION CLOSE AND RETURN OF UNSOLD WORK:
· The exhibition officially ends Friday, June 22, 2018
· Pick-up date is: Saturday, June 23, 2018, 12-5 pm
· We encourage group collaboration for pickupIMPORTANT DATE SUMMARY:
3/29/18 – All entries are due via Online Juried Shows.com
4/1-8/18 – Juror reviews submissions
4/16/18 – Selections announced via Online Juried Shows.com
5/12/18 – Selected paintings MUST BE dropped off at Group Ten Gallery between 12-5 pm
5/19/18 – Opening show reception from 6:00-8:30 pm at Group Ten Gallery
6/22/18 – Show concludes
6/23/18 – Pick up unsold Art at Group Ten Gallery between 12-5 pmIMPORTANT INFORMATION:
• Address for Group Ten Gallery, 201 East Erie Street, Kent, OH 44240
• The OPAS chair for this show is Doreen St. John with support from Jody CrowFuture Shows:
– The Riffe Gallery curated show: July 26, 2018 – Oct. 13, 2018
– OPAS Member Show at Springfield Museum of Art: Dec. 8, 2018 – March 9, 2019
2018 Curated Show at the Riffe Gallery and Southern Ohio Museum
The Ohio Plein Air Society Show: Creating Identity from Place
At The Riffe Gallery in Columbus, then traveling to the Southern Ohio Museum in Portsmouth
A curated, Plein Air Gallery Exhibition
At the Riffe Gallery: July 26 – October 13, 2018
At the SOM: January 26 – April (?), 2019
These are the artists representing OPAS for this curated show
Jon Browning Ray Hassard Martha Carmody Cody Heichel
Ed Charney Karen LaValley Thomas Cole Chris Leeper
Nora Daniel Michael McEwan Debra Joyce Dawson Robin Roberts
Edie Dean Doreen St. John Ann Ferguson Kah Bridgette Turner
Jim Glover Michelle Walker Larry Golba Mary Jane Ward
Early July 2018- (Exact date TBA) paintings due at the Riffe Gallery
July 26, 2018- opening reception Riffe Gallery
July 27, 2018, 12:00 noon-1:00- lunchtime gallery talk with the Curator
October 13, 2018- closing of the Riffe Gallery
January 26, 2019- Exhibition opens at Southern Ohio Museum and Cultural Center
April, 2019- (Date TBA) Exhibition closing reception with paint-out in Portsmouth
2018 OPAS Member Show at Springfield Museum of Art
“Farms en Plein Air”
Juror: Dan Knepper
Show dates: Dec. 8, 2018 – March 9, 2019
The opening reception will be Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018 from 5-7:30 pm. Lots more info to come.
Get out there and start painting those farms.
The 15th Annual Ohio Plein Air Competition is in Cincinnati, Ohio, Sept. 27-30, 2018
Hamilton County is 413 square miles of painting opportunities. Boasting a great series of parks and nature preserves (www.greatparks.org), the major urban center of Cincinnati, three major rivers, farms and great hilltop vistas, everything you would ever want to paint is here! Explore pure nature scenes, both contemporary or historic architecture, bustling urban markets and public spaces, and more. In the village of Mariemont, less than 10 miles east of downtown Cincinnati, the Woman’s Art Club Cultural Center will be our headquarters for the weekend. In order the include the interesting town of Milford, the painting area will be extended on the east side to include the strip inside the 275 loop.
2017 Competition Winners
2017 list of winners:
Best of Show – Marianne Miller $1,000
1st Place – Cody Heichel – $750
2nd Place – Robin Roberts – $500
3rd Place – Jeff A Evans – $350
Artist Choice – Robin Roberts – $300
Michael Harding Award of Excellence ($300) – Chuck Marshall
LDA Architects Award of Excellence ($250) – Kari Ganoung-Ruiz
Ampersand/Golden Award of Excllence ($250) – Christopher Leeper
JFM Award of Excellence ($250) – Mary Ann Sedivy
SourceTek/Richeson Award ($250) – Joseph Lombardo
Judson/Richeson Award of Excellence – Ken Marshall, Judson ($120) Richeson ($125)
Richeson/Judson Award of Excellence – Fran Mangino, Richeson ($150) Judson ($80)
Honorable Mention – Dominick Durante Jr – $150
Honorable Mention – Tom Cole – $150
Honorable Mention – Nancy Thompson – $150
Quickdraw – Kari Ganoung-Ruiz – Pot
A 3-day Plein Air to studio WORKSHOP with Artist, Michael Chesley Johnson
WHEN? Monday, Oct. 1 through Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018
WHERE? Home base will be at The Barn, Woman’s Art Club Cultural Center, 6980 Cambridge Avenue, Mariemont, OH 45227
HOW MUCH? $325
In this workshop, we’ll explore the process of taking our plein air sketches to the next level. We’ll learn to gather reference material en plein air — pencil sketches, color sketches and, yes, even photos if necessary — and then return with this to the studio to create finished works. In the studio, where we aren’t affected by the pressures of changing light and fickle weather, we’ll work out the best composition, color harmony and technique for our studio paintings.
Each day, you can expect helpful critiques, lectures and demonstrations. You’ll learn the best way to gather reference material; explore ways of turning this material into finished paintings—or of creating entirely new works based on it; as well as reviewing plein air fundamentals and Michael’s way of “capturing the moment” without sacrificing mood or magic.
Michael will be working in oil and pastel, but all media are welcome.
About Michael Chesley Johnson
One of the country’s top plein air painters, Michael works in oil and pastel in the American Southwest, coastal Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. He has been an invited artist to many national plein air painting events over the years and has competed in challenging locations such as the Grand Canyon.
Elected a Master Pastellist by Pastel Artists Canada in 2008, he is a Signature Member of the American Impressionist Society and the Pastel Society of America. He is the author of many books and videos, including Outdoor Study to Studio: Take Your Plein Air Paintings to the Next Level and Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel. A long-time contributor to Pastel Journal and The Artist’s Magazine.
There are two ways to register and pay below. You can register & pay online! We make it easy to register and pay in full online with any major credit card or with PayPal. You can also register or pay a deposit by printing and filling out the registration form by clicking on the “Download Form” button and mail your check or money order, payable to OPAS to: OPAS Treasurer, P.O. Box 14926, Columbus, OH 43214
Supply List for “Study to Studio” Workshop
For this workshop, we’ll be gathering reference material in the field and then heading back to the studio to do more finished paintings.
For Gathering Reference Materials
- Small sketchbook (9×12 or similar) plus 6B graphite pencil and eraser. Because we will do a lot of pencil sketching (in addition to color sketching) you might want to bring a new sketchbook.
- View finder (www.viewcatcher.com is a good one)
- Color sketching materials of your choice in a small format (5×7 up to 9×12) – materials can be anything you choose, such as oil, acrylic, pastel, watercolor, etc., and also include a good supply of inexpensive matboard, gessoed paper, etc., to sketch on
- If your medium won’t allow you to sketch in your lap, you will need a field easel
- Digital Camera. This is not a photography class. If you don’t know how to use your camera, learn before the workshop. Basically, you will want to know how to: take a decent snapshot, review the image on-screen, and zoom in on the image you’re reviewing. We won’t plan on printing out photos; if you need a physical photo, that will be your responsibility. A tablet would be most useful for viewing images on.
Miscellaneous Outdoor Gear
- Easel: For oil, I use the 9×12 Guerrilla Painter Box; for pastel, the Heilman “backpacker” box with easel; plus a tripod for each. An old standby is the trusty French Easel. Whatever you use, it should be portable and lightweight and above all stable. You may also use this in the studio.
- Umbrella: Not necessary, but helpful in intense sunlight.
- Stool: Not necessary, but if you must sit to paint, I strongly suggest a camp stool or collapsible chair, since not all locations have picnic tables.
- Paper towels and small garbage bags
- Hat, sunblock and water bottle
- “Baby Wipes” for cleaning fingers. Most locations will not have running water.
- Appropriate clothing and shoewear.
- Photos and Color Studies to work from. In the event of inclement weather and we are unable to gather reference material, we will work in the studio from these. They can be of anything that appeals to you.
- Bring a bag lunch, because if we’re out in the field, we may not have dining facilities or a deli nearby. We may dine out at lunch.
For Studio Work
I work in two mediums, oil and pastel. What follows is a list of what I recommend for these. If you are painting in some other medium, please bring what you normally use. If you’ve not used a split-primary oil palette before, or aren’t familiar with using Ampersand Gessoboard or hog bristle flat brushes, or any of the other materials, bring whatever you’re comfortable with. (Some people are used to canvas and not Gessobord, some are used to Canson paper and not sanded paper.)
The following are for making value sketches in preparation for creating studio paintings.
- Vine Charcoal
- 6B pencil
- Grey Pastels: Cretacolor Set of 8 Greys
- Sketchpaper pad (9×12 or bigger)
For Oil Painters
- Paints: Hansa Yellow Light, Hansa Yellow Deep, Naphthol Red, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Green (or Viridian), Titanium-Zinc White, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre. You may use cadmium colors instead of the hansa and napthol if you wish.
- Thinner: Gamsol
- Medium: Gamblin Solvent-Free Gel (optional)
- Panels: Ampersand Gessobord (9×12 up to 12×16 – plan on 1 finished painting per day) or homemade panels (I prefer to make my own)
- Brushes: Hog Bristle Flats (#10, #8, #4)
- Also: Wet panel carrier, container for thinner
For Pastel Painters
- Pastels: Full set (96-pc) of Prismacolor Nupastels or the equivalent; plus a good selection of softer pastels (Mount Vision has a 25-pc “plein air supplement” but Unision or Richeson works well, too)
- Paper: UART sanded pastel paper (9×12 up to 12×16.) Art Spectrum paper also works
- Backboard to tape paper to
- Masking tape
- Solvent (optional): either rubbing alcohol or Gamsol. If you plan to use solvent for a wash, also bring an old bristle brush and a container for the solvent.
Remember: Part of the day we will be working outdoors! What this means is:
- Everything should be portable. You should be able to carry everything in ONE trip.
- Think ahead to what you might need in the field, such as drinking water, snacks, baby wipes for your hands, sun hat, sunblock, etc. But remember — you still have to carry whatever you bring in ONE trip. (Most likely, we’ll be walking very little distance from the car, but you never know!)
- Restrooms may not be immediately available. The nature of plein air requires a certain amount of flexibility on the part of both instructor and student, and although we will try to find locations that have restrooms, you may have to use the facilities the Great Outdoors provides.
- Be flexible! Some locations may be better at certain times than others depending on weather and time of day. Be prepared to carpool, as some locations may not have parking for everyone.
My books, Outdoor Studio to Study: Take Your Plein air Paintings to the Next Level and Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel have lots of information plus demonstrations. (Order from my website, www.MChesleyJohnson.com or from Amazon.com.)
The “Bibles” of Outdoor Painting:
Guide to Landscape Painting by John F. Carlson.
Composition of Outdoor Painting by Edgar Payne.
The following OPAS members teach classes, workshops and / or demos. Please contact these OPAS members directly to be added to their mailing lists.
15TH ANNUAL PAINT OUT EVENT IN HISTORIC DUBLIN
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Join us in Historic Dublin, OH.
$600+ in prizes. All entries will be exhibited at Dick Blick on Sawmill Road until May 30.
Juror: Christopher Leeper
Reception: Thursday, May 3 at 6 pm
April 28: registration + canvas stamping from 9 am – noon at the DAAL tent at 55 S. High St. Rain or Shine. $15 entry fee. Open to all artists age 16+ using any medium. Entries must be framed and wired for hanging.
1st Annual Columbus Sunrise Rotary Plein Air Paint Out
Saturday and Sunday, May 12th to 13th, 2018
The Factory 12 Event Loft – 1235 Jackson St, Columbus, IN 47201
Columbus Sunrise Rotary Plein Air Paintout
The Columbus Sunrise Rotary is planning the 1st Annual Columbus Sunrise Rotary Plein Air Paintout.
The paint out will be Saturday and Sunday May 12th to 13th. The city of Columbus is nationally known for its art and architecture. Historical buildings combined with modern architecture, beautiful parks and walking trails will provide numerous opportunities for plein air painting. The recent movie “Columbus” and the “Exhibit Columbus” event have sparked national interest to Columbus and its art and architecture. The Columbus Sunrise Rotary Plein Air Paintout is set to become an annual arts competition organized by Columbus Sunrise Rotary. All plein air painters are invited to take part in this event.
The paint out is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday May 12th and 13th with the judging, awards, display and sale of the paintings to be held at The Factory 12 Event Loft 1235 Jackson St, Columbus, IN 47201 on Sunday May 12th. For more information and registration email email@example.com or call 812-372-0762. Registration deadline for the Plein Air Paintout is April 30, 2018.
Decatur, IN Sculpture Tour Plein Air Paint Out
Friday, June 8, 2018
In and around downtown Decatur, Indiana
Cash awards: 1st place – $250 2nd place – $150 3rd place – $100
Decatur has a beautiful downtown area with many interesting buildings, streets, and homes just waiting to be painted. The “Paint Out” will be held in conjunction with the Decatur Sculpture Tour unveiling and activities.
Registration fee is $10, which includes lunch. Registrations must be postmarked no later than May 25, 2018. The event will be held rain or shine. Click here for full registration.
Paint Out Schedule
- Check-in at the information table in front of the Adams County Courthouse on
2nd Street in downtown Decatur.
- Have your canvas stamped by a “Paint Out” representative. Only stamped work completed on Friday will be judged. A maximum of two paintings may be submitted for judging.
- Artists must provide their own canvas and easel.
NO SALES ARE PERMITTED UNTIL AFTER JUDGING
- Return to the Artist Loft building (118 N. 2nd Street) to submit your painting/s for judging. After judging, art must be displayed in the Artist Loft building until 7 p.m. Artwork sold while on display must also remain on display until 7 p.m. As a courtesy, if you paint a downtown building or home, please offer it to the owner before you offer it to the public.
- Artists may pick up their unsold art. The Decatur Sculpture Tour will retain 25 percent of sale proceeds, so please price your paintings accordingly and within your current pricing structure.
Paint Out Event Coordinator: Cheri Scherry, firstname.lastname@example.org, 260-223-7828
Tim Horn – See the Light, 3-Day Oil Painting Workshop
Thursday, Friday & Saturday, June 14,15,16, 2018 | 9am – 4pm
$500 Woman’s Art Club Members; $515 Non-Members
The primary focus of this workshop will be on how to convey the sense of strong sunlight in your paintings by identifying, clarifying and establishing proper value relationships. Exercises will be used to help strengthen these concepts. We will also work on achieving clean color in our paintings and utilize value patterns to aid in developing successful compositions. There will be discussions on materials, scene selection, and brushwork. There will be a painting demonstration each day and Tim will work with students individually on their paintings throughout the rest of the day.
At some point during the workshop Tim will give a slide show presentation and discuss some of his recent work.
The class will spend about half its time in the studio, and (weather permitting) the other half, painting outdoors nearby. Indoors work will include painting exercises and working from photos. When the class goes outside, students spread out in a given area to work on their paintings as Tim circulates among them.
Visit Tim’s website – Click Here
Class size is limited – Reserve Now $50 deposit holds your spot until May 18, when remainder will be due.
Registration Form – Click Here
Supply List – Click Here
Contact Laine Stoker for details about workshop and payment LStokerArt@gmail.com
Link To PDF – Click Here
11th Annual Art on the Beach 2018
Saturday and Sunday, June 23rd and 24th, 2018
Oldfield Beach at Indian Lake, Lakeview, Ohio
The Logan County Art League is making a call for fine artists and fine craftspeople to participate in Art on the Beach (formally called “Art on the Harbor”). The 11th annual art festival will be held on June 23-24, 2018, at Oldfield Beach, Lakeview, Ohio. The well-publicized exhibit will be an opportunity for artists to display and sell their work to a large audience in a relaxed, resort setting. The location can be reached by both car and boat. It is handicapped accessible. Each year Art on the Beach draws hundreds of visitors, both locals and from around the state. Not only will there be professional art and fine crafts for sell, there will be entertainment and food vendors. Most artists provide their own white tent for their art display, but this year we are making a large tent available for a limited number of artists who are unable to provide their own tent. If you are interested in being a part of this growing arts festival, located at Indian Lake near Lakeview, Ohio, please contact Andrea Earick for an application at 937-602-3032 or via email at email@example.com . This is a juried show.
Ohio State Fair Plein Air Competition
July 25-27, 2018
Join us at the Ohio State Fairgrounds for some plein air fun and enter the competition.
- Must be an Ohio resident and 17 years of age or older.
- $50 fee includes Fair admission and parking for three days of painting if entered by deadline of May 30
- ENTER HERE
- Νο ραιν δατεσ.
- Artists entering after the deadline can pay an $80 late entry fee (and also receive parking and admission passes for the three days of painting).
- Indoor painting is permitted (ask about limitations at check-in).
- Artist check-in: 9a-10a at the Cox Fine Arts Center on Wednesday, July 25 or first day of painting.
- Artists may enter up to two paintings for judging.
- Artwork to be judged must be turned in at the north entrance of the Cox Fine Arts Center by 5p on Friday, July 27.
- Judging begins at 6p on Friday, July 27 and awards are presented at 7p.
- Artist will be provided a “working artist” sign to place in the area they select to work in.
- Canvas must be checked and marked as “blank” by Fine Arts staff during check-in.
- Canvas cannot exceed 30” on the longest side (framing/mats included).
- Canvas must be wired and ready to hang. An area for preparing your work for judging will be provided.
- Artists must supply their own materials and supplies.
- Photographs may not be used for reference.
2018 Judge: Joseph Lombardo is an accomplished plein air painter and instructor. He received a MFA in painting from Bowling Green State University and studied landscape painting at the Burren College of Art in Ireland. He is a two-time ‘Best in Show’ winner at the Ohio Plein Air Competition and participated in Cape Ann Plein Air 2017. He teaches plein air painting workshops internationally. Lombardo is represented by Art Access Gallery in Columbus, Ohio and the Center Gallery in Glen Arbor, Michigan.
Piqua Arts Festival, Plein Air Competition
Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018
Artists from across the state and beyond will be invited to participate in a Plein Air Paint Out as part of the Piqua Arts Festival. Artists will arrive between 8 and 10 am and collect their artists packet with information on local highlights, restaurants and rules for the competition.
Please register here for the plein air paint out as part of our 2018 Piqua Art Festival on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
Artists from across the state and beyond will be invited to participate in a Plein Air Paint Out as part of the Piqua Arts Festival. Artists will arrive between 8 and 10a and collect their artists packet with information on local highlights, restaurants and rules for the competition.
Once they have their packet, they can proceed to leave the Arts Festival Area and start painting. Artists will be required to return to the Piqua Arts Festival by 4p. They will have a “Wet Paint Sale” where artwork is put on sale from 4pm until 7pm. During this time, they will be able to participate in a Quick Paint Competition. Artists wishing to participate will pay a $10 fee and then popular vote (by the artists) will take home the pot. The quick paint will take place from 4:30 to 7p and winners for the Paint Out Competition and Quick Paint will be announced afterwards. 1st Place for the Paint Out will be $500, 2nd Place will be $250, 3rd Place will be $150 and two honorable mentions of $50 will be awarded.